Hi, I’m Blake.
Welcome to my home on the web.
Me in 10 Seconds
I’m an advocate for self-directed learning.
I write, speak, podcast, and build things online.
Since 2008 I’ve taken teenagers on life-changing trips through my company Unschool Adventures.
California native. Heavily traveled. Mountain lover.
Want the longer story? Check out my About page or these interviews:
Recent Articles (view all)
- Agile Learning Centers, Liberated Learners, and Sudbury Schools: What’s the Difference? (Dec 2018)
- Don’t Like High School? Then Quit. (Oct 2018)
- Give Kids Control (Oct 2018)
- How to Quit Parenting (June 2018)
- Teens and Screens (May 2018)
- You Can’t Ruin Your Kids (April 2018)
- Hail the Almighty Diploma (March 2018)
- What Does it Mean to Be Educated? (May 2017)
Personal Posts (all)
The Way of Adventure (2017): a self-paced online course for budding adventurers
How to Live Nowhere (2017): an online book about nomadic living, written for twenty- and thirty-somethings
Off-Trail Learning (2016): a resource website for teenagers, young adults, and parents considering alternative education
What to Do Instead of School (2016): a PDF compilation of activity suggestions for young adults
The Unschool Adventures Guide to Online Travel Fundraising (2012): a guide to crowdfunding your next travel adventure as a young person