Hi, I’m Blake.
Welcome to my home on the web.
2018 Speaking Tour
This fall I’m giving a new talk entitled “Yes, You Can Quit High School and Everything Will Be Okay.” Come say hi.
- Aug 10 – South Lake Tahoe, CA – Tahoe Mountain Lab
- Sept 5 – Eugene, OR – The Hive
- Sept 14 – Minneapolis, MN – Gaia Democratic School
- Sept 17 – Chicago, IL – Greenfields Academy
- Sept 27 – Dover, NH – Big Fish Learning Community
- Nov 8 – Princeton, NJ – The Learning Cooperatives
- Nov 9 – Staunton, VA – Raw Learning
- Nov 14 – Charlotte, NC – ALC Mosaic
Each month I send one thoughtfully crafted newsletter to 4500+ followers, sharing my favorite education-related and updates about my projects. Browse the archives and sign up below.
NatChat podcast (Oct 2017)
The World Wanderers podcast (Dec 2016)
Zero to Travel podcast (Oct 2016)
Psychology Today: The Golden Age of Autodidacts (July 2016)
- How to Quit Parenting (June 2018)
- Teens and Screens (May 2018)
- You Can’t Ruin Your Kids (April 2018)
- Hail the Almighty Diploma (March 2018)
- What Does it Mean to Be Educated? (May 2017)
- The Art of Self-Directed Learning (2014)
- Better Than College (2012)
- College Without High School (2009)
Personal Blog Posts (all)
Launchpad (2017): a 3-week, email-based workshop for self-directed learners ages 14-21, all about getting stuff done
The Way of Adventure (2017): a free online course for adventurous young people
How to Live Nowhere (2017): a free online book about nomadic living, written for twenty- and thirty-somethings
Off-Trail Learning (2016): a free resource website for teenagers, young adults, and parents considering alternative