In May 2020 I independently published my fourth book, Why Are You Still Sending Your Kids to School? This was the third time I’ve self-published, and I feel like I now have a strong grasp of the process. This blog post documents the entire 17-month process of writing, crowdfunding, and launching the book into the […]
More than 15,000 total copies sold (as of 2019).
Unerzogen (German translations, 2019-20)
Alliance for Self-Directed Education (2017-8)
Gap Year Association (2016-7)
Matador Network (2012)
Huffington Post (2012-5)
Gifted Homeschoolers Forum (2015)
Other Long-form Writing
Fall 2020 may be the perfect time to embrace full-time self-directed learning. This fall, many schools may require part-time or full-time remote schooling, leaving parents in the same tricky situation as they found themselves in the spring. Balancing the demands of remote schooling with a full-time job is a stretch for some—and downright impossible for […]
As more colleges consider closing their campuses in fall 2020, more students are considering the possibility of taking a gap year. This makes perfect sense, since “virtual college” would be underwhelming, even at a discounted tuition rate. A significant part—perhaps the most important part—of the college experience comes from the communal experience of living and […]
- “What if my homeschooler never develops a real passion?”
- Can We Take the Schooling Out of Homeschooling?
- Skateparks and Essential Experiences
- Announcing a Microschool
- Lessons Learned, Shakeups, and Places Not to Travel
- Diving Deeper into the Controversy
- The Book, The Course, The Controversy
- Pandemic Homeschooling, a Bike Trip, and Questions of Utmost Importance
- School as Fiction
- Did We Really Need a Yale Survey for That?
- A 100-Tweet Critique of Unschooling