I created these goals between 2003 and today. Completed goals are in red.
A few notes about my goal list:
- I only post big, exciting, and slightly scary goals—not the little stuff.
- I only post goals that I’ve been considering for a while—not spur-of-the-moment stuff.
- I retroactively add goals that I’ve already completed.
- I’ll remove a goal from the list if it becomes boring or irrelevant. In other words: The list isn’t sacrosanct.
- I publicly announce my goals so that I have a better chance of completing them. I consider this a good form of “soft” peer pressure.
- I post failures as well as successes.
- I link to deliverables (concrete pieces of evidence) whenever possible.
- Start a family
- Live long enough to play tricks on my grandkids
- Own a house outright
- Get a dog
- Graduate from college – B.A., UC Berkeley 2004
Writing & Speaking Goals
- Start an international trip leading company – Unschool Adventures, 2008
- Start a leadership program for homeschoolers – Homeschool Leadership Retreats, 2010
- Direct a summer camp – Deer Crossing Camp, Assistant Director 2006-7, Acting Director 2008
- Start a school (i.e. long-term structured learning program)
- Run a “College Without College” program – ZTC Camp, Oct 2011
- Run an Unschool Adventure trip without me on it – UA Writing Retreat 2013
- Work at Not Back to School Camp – Advisor, 2006-present
- Work as the head cook for a summer camp – Deer Crossing Camp, 2008
- Lead a workshop at a major homeschooling conference – HSC 2009 (and others since)
- Be self-employed for a whole year (not counting summer camp jobs) – 2010
- Work a full season at a ski resort – 2007-8, Heavenly Ski Resort
- Run a conference for college-aged self-directed learners – Trailblazer 2013
- Explore Western Europe – France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, Netherlands, 5 weeks, 2002
- Explore South America – Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, 3 months, 2007 (blog part 1/2/3)
- Explore the Himalayas – N. India, 1 month, 2011
- Live in Lake Tahoe, CA – Winter 2007-8 (not actually in the lake)
- Live in Portland, OR – 2009
- Live in one place for one year straight (post-college) – Asheville NC, 2012
- Go on an expedition with Jim Wiltens – 2-week tree climbing and ruins expedition in Guatemala, Jan 2011
- See the Aurora Borealis with Matt & Patrick
- Live abroad with a son/daughter for a year
- Dance with a stranger in a Buenos Aires tango milonga – 2014
- Run 26.2 miles on trail
- Run 13.1 miles on trail – 2010
- Thru-hike the Pacific Crest Trail – Failed attempt: 2005
- Fastpack the John Muir Trail
- Windsurf in the Columbia River Gorge – 2014
- Day-hike Mount Whitney – Failed attempts: 1998, 2006
- Summit Pyramid Peak (Desolation Wilderness, CA) – 2010
- Summit every peak in the Crystal Range in one trip (Desolation Wilderness, CA)
- Run these trails – Working on it…
- Walk a 100′ slackline
- Walk a high-line (elevated slackline)
- Grace Llewellyn – 2006
- Daniel Greenberg (of The Sudbury Valley School) – 2004
- John Taylor Gatto – 2010
- Russell Roberts – 2014
- Tina Seelig – 2010
- Paul Graham
- Ben Casnocha
- Seth Godin – 2012
- Daniel Pink – 2014
- William Deresiewicz – 2014
The Goal Graveyard
- Start a student cooperative house – Attempted & failed in 2011 – Rolled into “start a school” goal
- Write a 50,000-word novel in one month (the NaNoWriMo challenge) – Failed attempts: 2006, 2009 – It’s really hard!
Photo: Matt Davis @ Piedra del Condor, Bariloche, Argentina. Don’t piss off the condor.