In this ~9 minute segment, Andy Weir, author of “The Martian”, discusses how he wrote and published his book.
- There’s no shortcut to good writing; you have to do a lot of mediocre writing first.
- Building up a readership / fanbase over a long period of time is super helpful.
- Crowdsourcing feedback on your book is smart.
- Amazon can empower small-time authors in incredible ways.
- Every good writer is first and foremost an avid reader.
(HT to Addison Pond for lending me his copy of The Martian and pointing me to this interview.)